Friday, January 21, 2011

How does a latte feel? We worship in all....

How does a latte feel?


"Discipline, NOT desire, determines destiny."

Well I work for a very prestigious coffee shop. Rhymes with bars tucks…LOL. I’m actually a supervisor, so I see people at their best and worst. I see people working and slacking, living and laughing. Making coffee and lattes and triple venti mocha explosions and basically being a coffee master and bartender. Costumers are so funny. They range in ages and in personalities. In my mind I tend to make up lives for them in my head, based on their drink order and the small talk I make with them. Every person that you get your coffee from is probably doing this, as well, just so you know! Anyway, I enjoy my job and I enjoy the feel of a latte, freshly steamed milk poured into a creamy, rich brown espresso shot, then handing it off to someone that has had a bad day. People are so interesting! I see their faces in the morning, craving that caffeine like a drug. Some people will kill for the fix! How does a latte feel? It feels like a stepping stone toward what I’m trying to do in my life. It feels like a temporary moment that’s soon to change. I take pride in my job because of who I am: a warrior, a fighter, a lover, a champion at whatever I do, to the best of my ability, and above all I’m a Christian. The way I see it is that I don’t work for that green and white coffee shop, I work for the Lord. Given that nice little fact I work and with, every latte feels like I’m making it for Christ! So you know the velvety goodness of your coffee made by my Christian hands will taste better, or at least it should.

So many coffee beans, so much milk, so many specifications within your highly caffeinated beverage, that sometimes I just seem to almost lose it. Yet I take a breather and realize that every latte gets you closer to what you want to do that day. Every time I work, it’s for Christ and for my schooling, leading to my future goals! A latte feels like a moment right before resurgence happens!

Discipline to know God has me at my job for a reason. I am at where I’m at for a reason, to walk by faith, knowing that Christ is king over my life, that he is the son of the living God living inside me, and for me to walk bold as lion and strong as his son in a world full of craziness and people that reject the very name of Christ with their stone cold hearts and false philosophy on life. I see some men and they speak of life as if the temporal is all there is. Death seems to be long way off for the young, but the bible says all men are appointed to die once and then face judgment! That means that all that hair gel, tanning, and the gym will amount to nothing when you’re standing in front of God, naked and bare, looking into the grace giving eyes of a savior that was crushed ,murdered, and crucified on your behalf, and yet countless times you rejected his everlasting love.

Sometimes I look at my hands as I’m making drinks and wonder if the same hands that I use to make drinks are the same hands that produce evil. I once heard a woman tell a young boy after he cursed up a storm, “do you kiss your mother with mouth?” I am reminded of all the things as Christian that I do with my body that might not be pleasing to the Lord. I see that the hands that I take communion with, the hands that I use to sing praises and accept the wine and bread that represent the blood and body of my murdered savior, are the same hands I could use for evil! Like Paul says, how wretched am I! Yet I have hope in Christ! I see an everlasting hope in him! I see my future, I see my life shining and lovely through suffering, I see a complete and utter glorification. I see fullness even in a latte. Even in how the milk hits the espresso, I see life! It feels great! With every breath I will proclaim my joy, my revelry in him!

So let’s follow this beautiful plan!

Jesus came to earth. He lowered himself from glory and the angels. The ultimate missionary, he lived 33 and half years, and after healing, loving, and giving the spiritual truths of the kingdom of God, he suffered a betrayal from his friend and was sold to his enemies. He picked up the very instrument of his death and walked up a hill and looked upon the place of the skull where he would literally marry us though his death, his eyes fixed on our hearts, his mind racing with the great and wonderful things we would do though his death! Sinless lovers of God they will be, he thought! But he took a wife that would spit in his face, break his heart, stomp on his life, and crush his body beyond recognition. Stripped naked and beaten, bleeding, left on a tree to die, he preaches and saves one last person before
his pericardium (sack that surrounds his heart) explodes in his chest. Then a spear is driven though his side, that we men and woman be just a little closer to his heart.
Three days later the borrowed grave he was placed in is empty and his best friends are knee deep in the sin of unbelief, going back to doing life as they did before Jesus, doing worldly things. They look at the tomb and ask where he is? He comes and breathes on these men and tells them to wait till the power comes to them. In Acts they are empowered by the Holy Spirit after praying to God! Then they take over the world though the preaching of God’s greatest gift: his murdered resurrected son. From one of those preaching the gospel, the word of God eventually reached a young Hispanic man named Mauricio Rotimi Barahona (me). I am the product of the most important life changing movement in all of history and of all time, the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. I am adopted into a new family and have gained identity and have become a brand new lover of Christ! How joyful it is to love and be love by God! Every thought, every color, every texture, every life altering change and mind challenging notion that represents God has been amplified and it is as if scales have fallen from my eyes and I now see the world though love and life of Jesus Christ!
I have been invited to swim in the infinite ocean that is God and to drown in the immense love and mercy that was the cross.
So how does a latte feel? For a Christian it should feel like God is the next person in line!

“So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.” 1 Corinthians 10:31

Remember, everything you do is an act of worship. Whether naked or ashamed, vegetables or a lamb, whether it’s a first born or a ram, whether it’s an ark or a temple, a prophet or a voice in the wilderness, a giant or a jaw bone of a donkey, a manger or a cross, we worship.
Christ Revelry

1 comment:

  1. "to a Christian it should feel like God is the next person in line" - I LOVE THAT!!!! That is the way I want to live my life today :) Thanks, Mauricio

    ReplyDelete